I've read quite a few books lately that all seem to talk about meditation and how everyone should be doing it if you want to be successful/peaceful/happy. Whilst I am sure it is good for some people I just can't seem to get into it. To be totally honest I have never really tried so the issue really is that I can't even get motivated enough to try it out! One of the main reasons is that I just don't feel like I need it and I think it is because fitness is my meditation.
It may sound very strange and you may be thinking how could a high intensity training session with loud pumping music and barbells crashing to the floor all around you be anywhere close to meditation. Here's why I think it is:
- It is impossible to think about anything else besides what you are doing when you are Olympic lifting or learning a hard gymnastic skill - these things are a lot harder than they look and they require all your concentration and focus
- When you are counting your reps mid workout you are not thinking about the report you have due tomorrow or the ominous meeting with your boss
- When you are resting and trying to not die between reps you are not thinking about what you will make for dinner
- There is no one calling out "Mom" or "Dad" in the class
- For 1 hour you are only focused on what you are doing in that moment
- You spend at least 2 minutes at the end of every class having quiet time lying on the floor
- When you are finished, your mind is clear, your body is energized and you feel good about yourself
- And if you have been doing it for a while you build a new appreciation for what our bodies can do and you feel good about your accomplishments
Just to make sure I didn't have a totally incorrect view of what meditation was all about I looked up someone else's definition of meditation. In Wikipedia they define it as this:
"meditation refers to a broad variety of practices that includes techniques designed to promote relaxation, build internal energy or life force and develop compassion, love, patience, generosity, and forgiveness".
Yup, fitness is my meditation.